An interesting scam

Today I encountered one of the more interesting scams that tuk tuk drivers run in Bangkok.  A guy is crossing a street intersection with me as I head to the temple complex across the street.  He asks me if I'm going to the temple.  I confirm.  He tells me that the temple is closed until 3pm because the monks are praying.  So far this is a typical Bangkok scam - he is about to tell me to visit a silk or fabric factory while I wait for the temple to re-open.  He asks to see my map.  Here we go.  But instead, he offers me a 3-point route:  one buddha statue, a silk emporium, another buddha statue, then back to the temple complex area -- all for $2 USD!  The scam works for them because the tuk tuk drivers get commission from the "silk emporium" for bringing foreigners there.  But the scam also works for me, because I am not obligated to stay at the emporium long, and end up paying for about 3 hours of getting driven around for 2 bucks.

This entry was posted by Unknown. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.